Thursday, October 09, 2008

Forum | Week 9 | Student Presentations III


Today the remainder of the 3rd Year students presented to the Music Technology horde. I was first, presenting my failed MaxMSP patch from Semester 1 2007, Fantastical Metal. The patch seemed to work well (in it's own way), but I would have liked to present my SuperCollider patch from last semester so as to round off a 'My Failures' theme.

Luke's SuperCollider patch was aesthetically pleasing to listen to, especially the combined organ sounds. The end was a little abrupt, and I think it may benefit from a nice thumpy kick drum throughout the piece.

Will presented his Max patch from last year, which we didn't really get to listen to. His environment sounds for a video game were well done, however they seemed to pale in comparison to the Half-Life 2 SFX.

Dave's patch obviously took a lot of effort to create, and the inclusion of drum beats and random samples helped to 'keep it from being boring'. I like the idea that the patch sounds fairly different each time it is run.

Last was Jake, who played us his SuperCollider patch from last semester. This was a 5.1 channel industrial ambient piece, and was certainly intense and very enjoyable. Jake obviously has a good understanding of the 5.1 sound field, with a 'spawning' effect perceivable throughout.

No comments: