Wednesday, March 14, 2007

CC2 - Week 2 - Max Quickstart

This week we were asked to create a Max patch that triggers the notes of the chromatic octave in sequence with a user selectable tempo and starting pitch. I had created half of the patch before I needed help from Dave, who suggested "Right click and select help." I am enjoying Max far more than Plogue last year, but possibly only because there is now less of a learning curve with using graphical user interfaces. One part in particular that I could not figure out was when to add in the MIDI note value, however it (eventually) made sense to add it to the counting value output from the counter, thus incrementally increasing the starting note value.



Patch Text File

4 comments:

David J Dowling said...

Stating the word 'interface' when prefaced with the acronym GUI is an unfortunate redundancy, much like the freely used and grammatically incorrect term of 'PIN Number'.

I hope you are well aware that all readers will therefore be unlawfully cheated out of a minimum 0.01 seconds of precious life (time they'll never get back) as a result of your rampant carelessness...

Ben said...

If you actually had any of your self-assumed astuteness, you would know that in the context of the sentence it's fine. I was referring to the 'Graphical User Interface' type of programming. If I said I understood the Max GUI because of the Plogue GUI it would not be true, as Plogue and Max GUIs work differently. I simply stated that the type of interface known as 'GUI' was not such a new concept. You see? The GUI type of interface? Ah fuck it, I'll just change it. It's not even a noun anyway.

David J Dowling said...

I agree, bollocks...

Ben said...

U can't touch this