Monday, August 14, 2006

Forum - Week 2 - Improv Delegation and Religious Relegation

When Clint Eastwood jumps into the ocean he doesn't get wet,
the ocean gets Clint Eastwood.



No more Dirty Harry music? What am I going to write about!?
We have instead been prescribed an adventure in improvisation (1).
I am curious what subject our ‘workshop’ class is actually an
extension of, as we do not have any improvisation lectures or
tutorials. Nonetheless, the first workshop comprised of
subject explanation and group organisation. After Stephen
Whittington made a big deal about how the randomly chosen
groups would allow the various year level to work together,
my group had four 1st years and two 2nd years, while another
group had four 3rd years and one 1st year. Despite this, the
group I was involved in turned out to have the same vision
for a final performance that I had: a central theme of rhythm,
removed from ambient. Luckily we all had differing talents,
so we have a nice instrumental diversity. I say ‘talent’
loosely as I don’t play any real instrument. I have nominated
myself to provide vocal… umm… effects. I’m not sure how
well this is going to turn out, but I’m sure it will be fun in the
very least.

Another new part of forum is student presentations, where
we are now obligated to give a talk on something we worked
on last semester. First up was Luke Digance and
John “Maggot” Delaney, both presenting their Semester 1
Creative Computing compositions. Luke’s was an interesting
journey through harmonics(2), the sounds of which were
sourced from items in the EMU kitchen. While he seemed
to cop some slack over the introduction of rhythmic drum
sounds, such people seemed to have forgotten that the point
of the piece was to unite harmony and rhythm with Musique
Concrete. Maggot Delaney’s piece (3) was not new to me, as I
was one of the performers recorded in the production. Patrick
McCartney and I joined forces, and slapped the Buddhist
religion with our attempt at vocal harmonics. The resultant
sound was very cool, but I wish I had done my part now as
I have discovered a way to do harmonics more effectively.
Here's a guy you wouldn't want to be in a jail cell with.

1. David Harris and Stephen Whittington. "Improvisation
Workshop" Presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University
of Adelaide. 3/08/2006.

2. Luke Digance. “Musique Concrete Presentation.”
Presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of
Adelaide. 3/08/2006.

3. John Delaney. “Performance Symmetry.” Presented at
the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide. 3/08/2006.

Pictures
Dirty Harry -
http://www.space-debris.com/spy_eastwood_dirtyHarry_LG.jpg

No comments: