Friday, October 27, 2006

Forum - Week 12 - Forumskin and Dirty Dancing

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days we improvise. I thought today was
Friday so I didn’t get up until 10, and missed CC plus 10 minutes of an aural exam.
Anyway we had a nice improv session today, albeit slightly less energetic than last
time. It seems Dirty Harry must be reading my blog, as this time he actually stayed
in the room and even got us into a 7/8 jam with him on piano. Stephen came to visit
but didn’t say anything, which I guess is his way of saying “Not bad.” Due to my
morning rush I didn’t bring the effects pedal again, but I have managed to get a
convincing bass drum sound through 2 layers of EQ. Jake experimented with Live v.6
with great success. Using the Impulse feature, he created drum loops on the spot and
distorted them with much greater efficiency, thanks to Live 6’s easier effects
interface. Matt pulled out some nice synth solos as usual and Adrian lay down the
bass with a sometimes serial edge. Dave injected the necessary funk or solo and I did
whatever it is I pretend to do. Although a few members down again, we still kept it
fairly clean and got ‘down and dirty’ on occasions. That last sentence has just
collapsed my motivation to write any more.



Tending to the herd



Anyway. The 7/8 timing was a good experience. After about 4 minutes I got Jake to
slow the tempo from 90 to 84 so we could catch on to the ‘un-rhythm’, and
this allowed us to keep a groove going for about 10 minutes. Dirts pulled off some
very chromatic and abstract pianocism, and it was great to see him getting into it as
much as we do. I’m looking forwards to our performance (whenever it is), and I might
try and kill some of the less useful band members so as to even out the numbers. Oh
shit, did I say that out loud?

8 comments:

aajodie said...

Ben. Apologies. Failed to produce a kissing chick for you. Not helping you at all vis a vis 5 year wife plan. Sorry.

weimer said...

just a correction the tempo was changed from 90 to 84. jesus ben lay of the crack why dont you.

Luke.Digance - Eclectic I said...

Butt Crack that is

John said...

Love the meditative poses, keep them coming ;-)

Ben said...

It's okay, my 5 year wife plan was actually flawed. It turns out you need a girlfriend before you can get a wife. Stupid bureaucracy.
---
Jake, I fixed it. Bow chicka bow wow.
---
Yes, I'm sure he meant butt crack. Why am I always at the arse end of jokes?
---
I broke a mirror the other day and I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer reckons he can get me five.

John said...

I lost a button hole.

aajodie said...

When I was first out of school I did a B.A. in humanities. A friend of my was studying engineering. She was somewhat dismissive of the employment value of a B.A. (rightly so as it turned out). She used to say I was just doing a B.A. to find a husband. Now I ask you, which one of us was going to find a husband in their course? Me, in my majority female arts faculty or her in the 90% male engineering courses?
If you are looking for a wife, have you considered the wisdom of changing your study field to an area where the odds are more in your favour?

Ben said...

Hmm, Bachelor of Arts, hey? Otherwise known as "Bachelor of Attendance"? I guess I'm not exactly 'looking' for a wife yet, unless a certain girl in particular works out... Shhh....