Wednesday, April 04, 2007

CC2 - Week 5 - UI Controls & Application State

I DO have more important things to do, but once I start I just can't stop. Nothing huge this week with the aesthetics- the sun picture is ripped from a Windows custom theme, so technically it isn't my own work. Although I did program them into buttons myself... whatever. I would have liked to do some custom dials, but I have run out of time. The feedback conundrum was one solved mostly by myself, but also largely by Will for giving me the heads up on only changing the velocity for each loop, leaving the pitch to loop without being affected. I also found out that the MIDI channel does not need to be looped, so it just bypasses the delay patch altogether. You may notice the Homemade inc/dec patch I made- this was so the up and down arrows would scroll through the instrument list.

A few of the numerous issues I encountered:

Black and white selector- keys not switching for next note; positioning problem solved by adding a preMAIN, sending MAIN data out in 2 sets, allowing tenuation of settings using MAIN before actual MAIN signal is passed. Yes.

Note length- slider sluggish to move; slider changed to output lower values, which are then multiplied for actual note length.

Feedback- Very quick succession of notes start to cancel each other out; can't fix, as this occurs after the noteout. I did change the minimum repetition speed of the pipe to something that is not so glitchy, but it still stops sometimes.

Custom toggles/bangs- wouldn't work; they need to be output to a bang or toggle so they send the message.

Of course there was endless debugging, but everything has started to blur together now.

(Working) Patch .zip file.


Main interface


Main interface open / / / / Delay patch



Black and white key selector / / Homemade increment/decrement


QWERTY piano patch.


Christian Haines "Creative Computing: Semester 1, Week 5- UI Controls & Application State" Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 29th March, 2007.

3 comments:

John said...

Well I can't say I've seen a keyboard like that in reality, but in the virtual world anything goes. Well done for originality! The thing that bothers me is that I find the interface design and general aesthetic more enjoyable at this stage than actual Max programming or the "musical" side to Max, which still eludes me.

David J Dowling said...

You might want to up the resolution on the images a little as the text is unreadable..

Ben said...

If you are viewing them on Firefox you need to click on them once they're opened to zoom in for 'actual size'.