Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Audio Arts Major Project

As most of you already know, I've had a wonderful time trying to get musicians to participate in a recording. I would have preferred for them to say "No" so I could find someone else, however that wasn't to be. Yet, I managed to record a rock band a couple of days ago (uhh, yesterday and the day before) and the results were quite satisfactory. The band, "Mytosis", consisted of a drummer, 2 guitarists, bassist and singer. Their style is similar to 90's rock/grunge, and most of their influences come from this period.

For their first song, "Psycho Bitch"
On the drumkit I used all the cliched mics, namely the Shure drumkit mics, a pair of Yamaha MZ-204s on the snare plus a couple of Neumann KM84i's for overheads. For the guitars I tried to give each one a distinctive sound, so I opted for SM57 and SM58 on one, and Beta57 and Beta58 on the other. Initially the SM57 recording sounded incredibly dull, however after applying time offset to one of the mics it really brought it to life.

Okay, I've tried, but I can't make it. I've been awake for 32 hours and I can't focus on the screen anymore, so I'll have to write these later.

Here are the mastered tracks.

Ripples 6.04MB

Psycho Bitch 3.94MB


UPDATE
Those links won't work, as I have deleted the files and replaced them with a more recent master (made after 13 hours sleep). File sizes are as above.

Psycho Bitch
Ripples

No comments: