Monday, May 14, 2007

AA2 - Week 9 - Mixing Techniques 2

For something different I decided to mix an entire song using only the Drama Queen files. I was quite surprised how useful some of the extraneous guitar riffs were, one of which I used as the main theme of my mix. I was even more surprised when converting my mixdown to an MP3, and I spotted one of the guitars going out of time in the second verse- you'd think that ProTools could handle real time mixdowns, but I guess not. If I was to clarify a genre for the piece, I suppose whatever genre Evanescence is would suit.

The double kick was simply double delay lines, the double-time hihat again used delay and the reverse crash cymbal at the start was just that. I spent a fair amount of time on spacial positioning and movement of sounds, so you might notice some 3-dimensional panning if you're sharp. I also experimented with the voice a bit, as you'll hear with some of the extended song lines ("Always..."). Something that helped a lot was taking the recording from Studio 1 into Studio 2, and listening to it on different speakers in a different room. This highlighted some of the inconsistencies that aren't easily clarified on the Tannoy's. I also had a couple baffles set up behind me in Studio 1, which stopped the awful sound of the room.

The file is a little larger than usual, as would be expected for a 3 minute long song. ~MP3 3.87MB~

I have just found a txt file of 'things to fix' that I made when I took the mix home and listnened to it on my Logitech speakers and through headphones.

~acoustic interjections are tool loud
~cool 'accident' guitar fade needs to be louder
~voice sounds like a bathroom- thanks NoTools
~start guitar could be less mono
~voice excerpt in outro would break up monotony
~fade out of final guitar in outro bathroomy
~lessen reverb on snare in verses
~main guitar very mono... fix
~try and stretch out the 'always' part of the screaming section- maybe use to fill in the following instrumental as well?
~more crash and ride in instrumental
~fadein guitar in instrumental gets too loud
~fade in the outro guitar slower, over whole chorus maybe, and have the chorus guitar fade out AFTER chorus.
~stereo reverb (or something) needed on fake hihat- too directionally specific at the moment
~more high end needed on guitar on "open up" breakdown
~tiny bit less bass on kick drum
~"cover" and "always" in chorus out of time
~doubletime bass notes in outro could do with copycat kick drum
~watch volume changes when bypassing delay lines in kick -volume of kick in 'open up' breakdown perfect



These were of course fixed for the final mix, except for the word "cover" in the chorus- moving it created an awkward gap in the sentence.


5 comments:

David J Dowling said...

Sensational effort, how long did it take you? Or perhaps I shouldn't I ask..

Ben said...

Yes, don't ask...

Luke.Digance - Eclectic I said...

This is why you run around on only a few hours sleep all the time. Well done man. I'd like to pick your brain on how you did this one sometime if you have the time. (I know you wrote down half of what you did, but I learn better practically) but yeah if you have the time it would be appreciated.

DJ Reverie said...

this is an awsome mix....I tried to make the vocals sound good but I couldnt do it....maybe if i spent 20hrs on it I'd get it sounding like urs haha

Ben said...

I wish you'd all shut up about my poor prioritising skills. I go where I'm needed.

The NoTools session for the mix is on the server, so I don't know if we'll be able to access it to go through it.

For the vocals I literally cut the guitar strums out, then filled in the holes with time compression/expansion of the leftovers. If you listen to the vocals without any other instruments they sound quite digitised.