Tuesday, May 15, 2007

CC2 - Week 9 - Data Management and Application Control

Considering I have a theory test worth 15% of my grade on Wednesday, this week's patch is a little lacklustre in the aesthetic department, however I still love the 80's brown and orange theme I whipped up. I went the direction of non-minimalism with the patch setup, as you can tell with my complete lack of bpatchers. A couple new concepts I tried this time: using the transparent button as a toggle to create a blue highlight around anything it was on top of when switched on, and setting up a bypass system for the function formulas so they could be turned on in any combination without stopping the data flow.

I originally ran Delta Time into the coll packaged with pitch, velocity and note length data, but upon connecting the outputs of the coll to makenote I realised that there is nothing to send delta time to. I spent a good couple hours trying to set up the 'tempo' (controlling the output of the coll) to use delta time data to control time between each note out, but then realised that I was essentially creating a 'seq', and I don't believe this was an intended objective. In any case, I left the delta time code in the patch.

I'm not sure if there's an easier way than I have done it, but I have the data in my coll being output backwards, so that the output matches the order that it was entered. I have also just noticed that the kslider in not connected to the recorder. Hmm. Uh- I only had the kslider there to illustrate what notes are being played on the MIDI input device. Yes.

I have connected note velocity to also control a knob in the A1 synth in Cubase. I picked this effect in particular as it seemed to be the most noticeable. The velocity data needed to be adjusted so that it had a real effect on the control.

I find the preset window ugly and not user-friendly, so I simply used message boxes to control the preset box and took it out of the user's face.

Patch and Cubase Files

~MP3 276KB~




Christian Haines "Creative Computing 2, Semester 1, Week 9: Data Management & Application Control" Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 10th May 2007.

3 comments:

David J Dowling said...

And I thought my weekly sound file was dodgy...

John said...

With a touch of seasick green, that could be the ideal 70's look

Ben said...

Yeah, my care factor dropped quite significantly this week. I didn't really make an effort with the acoustical output, instead just got the patch right. Even though it isn't technically right...