Monday, October 08, 2007

AA2 - Week 9 - Game Audio Design (1) - Assets

This week we were asked to create 4 sound assets for our chosen game, so fingers crossed our preproductions go through. I decided to make sounds for a health pickup, a gun being shot, a voice over (TRIPLE KILL!!!) and the sound of a jumppad. The associated articles were somewhat helpful, however as Christian informed us they were pretty simple, and I did not really learn anything new, just reestablished prior knowledge. An issue that has come about is that I don't think my game has inbuilt reverb or other environmental effects, meaning such effects will need to be included within each of my assets. More in depth descriptions about the processes I used are detailed in the asset.xls within the attached zip file.

The gun I chose to create the sound for was the "Crylink", as this had by far the most uninspiring sound effect in the game. Originally it sounded like somebody flushing a miniature toilet, so I hoped to give it a bit more of a punch by using watery sounds mixed with real gun sounds.

Crylink

I also made the sound for a medium health pickup, which was a bit more complicated than I expected. Considering there is nothing even remotely similar to a health pickup in the real world, imagining the sound was difficult. In a way I guess it should have been easier because I was free to use any sound and it wouldn't technically be 'wrong', however I wanted a sound that the player would look forward to hearing, making the health pickups all the more enticing. I ended up settling for an unobtrusive reversed bongo arrangement, which has quite a happy sound to it.

Medium Health


For the voice asset I recorded myself saying "Triple Kill", used in the game when a player kills three other players within quick succession. This was more 'same old' for me- with all the voice over stuff I've done this year I'm beginning to run out of voices. I was either going to have a female voice (done by a girl of course, although my falsetto does sound a little feminine) or my cliche SuperMegaTestosterone Man voice. For last-minute-rush purposes I used my own voice. I might start listening to women a little more discerningly, keeping an ear out for a good voice. I think her voice would need to be feminine but still strong and authoritative, kind of like "I'll slap you to death if you look at me again".

The last sound I made was for the jumppad, which is used in the game to jump twice as high as normal. It was a simple combination of a click, clunk & whoosh; the sounds of which came from the deadroom door and white noise.

~ZIP 123KB~

No comments: