Wednesday, October 10, 2007

CC2 - Week 9 - Processing - FFT

I did it. Did what? IT, motherlover. It took 3 hours of tutorial reading (which was like chewing on broken glass), then a further 7 hours of hardcore Max mania, and what do I have to show for it? Every grain in my granular synth patch can now be manipulated with its own phase vocoder. HORRIBLE trying to implement it, rather interesting results. Now there is a additional control for 'grain stretching', which takes each grain and (surprise!) stretches it for any amount of time you so wish. I plan to have this control automated by the next incarnation, so each grain is not only randomly selected from within a range, but has an individual length from quick to ultra slow. This will undoubtedly be used in my project, and I plan to use granular synthesis as one of the main... things.

Getting all the numbers into
the pfft~ in the poly~... Ugh.


The most difficult things... can wait until I have more time to list them all.

Other things to do:
Change the visual aesthetic - totally over it.
Fix the buzz that occurs on grain 0.
Find the comfortable limits of use - and place limits there.
Use better sounds.


Interior of pfft~, with buffer/record/index namer.
Names each grain's recorded sample.

I will attach the zip of the files, however the controls are not fully integrated into the patch and most of them don't have loadmess' to initiate them. I'll fix this too, but I have stuff due on Monday that I haven't started. The file you want is bkp.grain.vocode.pat. If you can't be bothered figuring it out, here's an MP3 I made of it in full swing. Note the size ~MP3 2.75MB~

~ZIP 766KB~

No comments: