Wednesday, October 24, 2007

CC2 - Week 11 - Panning

I'm not sure exactly how we're supposed to hand up a recording of a four-channel patch. I guess I could record the front and the back as separate stereo files, but I'm running out of online credit both at home and at uni.



I originally tried to implement multi-channel panning in my granular synthesis patch, but I could not get it to run below 85% CPU to it kept chugging. I thus created an new patch, which allows you to run a stereo signal (or two entirely different signals) into it and pan each one within a quad speaker set up. You can also throw the sound to a random position, and even allow each channel to be continuously moved around the sound field in an entirely random manner. This was simple, the hard part was my implementation of "cat and mouse" and "opposing" reactive panning.



First, cat and mouse. Wherever signal 1 is positioned, signal 2 will go. How quickly signal 2 reacts is determined by the user, meaning you can set signal 1 to randomly move around, while signal 2 'chases' it. Moving on, opposing reactive panning means that wherever signal 1 is positioned, signal two is as far opposite as it can get, eg. sig 1 is in the front left speaker, sig 2 will be in the rear right. This works particularly well with a stereo sound file, as the stereo field is constantly moving, while sounds that are centred in the file remain relatively still.

Feel free to plug your own sounds into the patch, and it works very well as a bPatcher.

~PAT 9KB~

No comments: