Monday, August 04, 2008

Audio Arts | Week 1 | Nosferatu


Film sound is not an interest of mine, partly due to the 'Sans Video' we had to do in 1st year *shudder*. I understand it takes a great amount of experience to successfully produce the sound for a movie, and I am curious as to where this experience should be coming from for our projects. I have not done the Sound and Media elective or studied composition, so I am hinging on the weekly classes having some digestible/regurgitatible content. I am also bemused about what we exactly have to do, as there is no project documentation yet. It is strange that we have to choose the clip this early on, when we don't know the project requirements. For example, I would like to produce the sound for clip 3, however if we have produce all the foley with found sounds AND produce our own musical compositions then this clip would be ridiculously complex to produce.

Regardless, an idea I have had is to produce the sound as if it were recorded with the archaic sound recording equipment available around the time of the movie. I feel that this 'lo-fi' approach would better suit the film than some grandiose Bourne Identity style production.

Again, I don't know if this would be allowed, so it's really just all speculation.

Also, I haven't ever seen Nosferatu before.

Harrald, Luke. “Audio Arts – Week 1 – Semester 2, 2008.” Lecture presented at the Audio Lab, Level 4, Schultz building, University of Adelaide, 29th of July 2008.

2 comments:

Poppi said...

There's a whole history of vampire films out there--watch and few and see if you don't side with the vampire.

Ben said...

I saw a black&white Japanese one on SBS years ago, where the vampire was blind but could 'see' you when you breathed. This led to many incredibly tense scenes of people holding their breath.