Sunday, August 10, 2008

CC | Week 2 | GUI (2)

All I wanted is to get some array-built SCSliders to control some things in a Pbind. Sounds easy enough, but none of the examples used SCsliders. It was either EZSlider or SCRangeSlider. Considering how whole-heartedly the EZSlider was disapproved of, I found it irritating that there was no explanation of how to implement the SCSlider into an array-built interface. I tried for ages just to get the example patches to work with SCsliders, but it wouldn't work. The SCSlider Help just uses the copypaste method. I'm sure there is some tiny syntax thing I have to do to make it work, but if I haven't been shown it and it isn't in the Help file then I can't know what it is.

I ended up having to use the EZSlider, which I (eventually) got working for controlling the speed of the Pbind. Then when I tried to control another part of the Pbind (\octave), the speed was reset to a value not even in my code. And now when I change the speed, the octave gets reset. And none of this actually appears on the interface, you can only hear it.

I have to say that MaxMSP sh!ts on SuperCollider for GUI. If making a crap-looking interface takes this long, I don't even want to think about making a good-looking one. Needless to say, I spent no time at all on the prettiness.

80sBass.RTF

80sBass.MP3 1.7MB


Only took a couple minutes...

3 comments:

John said...

I pretty much experienced the same issues as yourself regarding SCSlider. I don't like horizontal sliders, so therefore SCSlider is my best option.... but had to revert to EZSlider in order to get it working in the meantime. I'm just trying to figure out a simple method of creating, say, 10 faders and assigning them to a control value (without using the UI>New SCWindow option, as you know that just duplicates the same code several times over). Aside from this, I'm actually quite content to use the Quartz brushed-metal look for all my patches.

David J Dowling said...

What, you don't like urine yellow?

John said...

Yellow has no future