Saturday, September 06, 2008

Audio Arts | Week 6 | Presentations


This week we presented the work that we had done thus far on our Film Sound project. I was the only one who didn't have something synced to the movie already, mainly because I didn't realise we needed to this early on. I played the musical ideas I have had on the piano, and informed the class of my plans to make the music sound as old as the film, meaning bad quality and inconsistencies. To be honest I believe this will be more difficult than just recording straight piano, as I am having to record to an aesthetic. The new Zoom portable recorders will no doubt come in handy when sourcing an old piano.

John and Dave are taking a more traditional approach to the sound design, using symphonic instruments and/or pounding bass-driven beats. Jake's approach is quite compelling, using mostly ambient sounds interspersed with pulsing rhythms. Luke has approached the project with a theme of 'aggravation', whereby the audience is made to feel uncomfortable at convenient parts of the film. I really hope this works out, as I would love the see (and feel) the results.

Luke Harrald. "Audio Arts 3: Semester 2, Week 6. Student Presentations." Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 2/09/2008.

No comments: