Wednesday, August 29, 2007

AA2 - Week 6 - FMOD

"Jet" Engine

Utilising the RPM tool in FMOD I have created a jet engine simulation. I used sound files from findsounds.com (not recommended for quality). Chopping up the wave files into loopable segments was easy compared to using my FMOD session on any computer other than the one I created it on. Even if I set the audio source directory to the correct place, save off and reload the session it cannot find them. To run the session again I had to load it on computer 8 in the Audio Lab, with the folders in their exact position from when the session was created. Maybe I'm missing something? In any case, I split up the sound of a jet into several areas:

1. Starter click
2. Turbine 1
3. Turbine 2
4. Jet engine warm up
5. Jet engine throttle
6. Jet engine full throttle
7. Jet engine top speed
8. Jet engine off throttle
9. Wind resistance

Event Editor window.

I would have liked to have done a 'sonic boom' sound for just before the top speed sound, however I could not easily find a suitable sound. The tutorial was helpful in some ways, but infuriating in others, such as: "37. Add a 'Volume' effect to each layer." - without stating that this should be done after clicking on the 'load' parameter. For this reason I did not realise that the volume change effects needed to be placed on the 'load' parameters, or even that there was a difference between selecting the rpm or load parameters. I did figure it out, but only after looking at the "example.fdp" and clicking around the "car" event editor window randomly.

Sound Definitions tree.

The stereo sound I added after the fact in Audacity, just to show off my mad skillz in stereoising a mono sound.

~MP3 1.02MB~

__________________________________________________

You've got to be kidding...

No comments: