Tuesday, August 07, 2007

CC2 - Week 2 - Signal Switching and Routing

..........................*sigh*.

After 6 hours I decided to stop, as I was approaching the point of extreme frustration. To 'add mute functionality' to the patches, the mute~ object needs to be sent into the patch from outside. This would technically not be adding mute~ functionality to the patch, as the mute~ object would need to be placed outside of the patch itself. I ended up just encapsulating the interior of the patch into an embedded patcher object, and running the mute~ into that so all that was required from outside of the patch would be a toggle. I don't believe this was a very economical way of muting a patch, but it seems to be the only way to include mute functionality.

My other time consuming (and as yet unresolved) problem was the use of arguments to a Bpatcher. I am aware that you place #1 etc. on an object within the patch and that gets replaced with the corresponding argument. I just wanted to send a hslider an argument, so I connected a message box to it with #1 written in it. Upon testing, the argument replaced the #1, however the number was not sent to the hslider. I queried Dave on this, and when showing me his patch he had the same problem- the argument not being sent from a message box. I moved on to creating the gui, of which I spent (and will subsequently spend) minimal time on considering the detrimental waste of time it was last semester.

I know we did not have to read the tutorials this week, however I ended up having to read them anyway to even remotely complete the task. I did not complete the two new objects, although the phasor~ etc. tutorials seemed to make sense. Actual implementation of the information into two new objects would add another 2 hours, so yeah. No.

~MSP Files .ZIP 5KB~


No comments: