Thursday, March 20, 2008

AA3 - Week 3 - Recording "Outside The Square"


This week I had originally organised to record some Tibetan bowls, however while setting up for the recording I realised I had forgotten to send a reminder email to the... bowlist. So instead I recorded myself on acoustic guitar, as I wanted to try out the dual figure 8 mic setup in the Michael Stavrou reading.

So obviously my first recording was exactly this. I played a blues scale and sung it (!) at the same time, with two Nuemann U87s placed strategically so that the dead spot was aimed right where the respective unwanted sound source was. For demonstration's sake I have panned each mic hard left and right. I was impressed at the outcome, and I will no doubt use this many times in the future.

(word count!)

Recording 2 : My attempt at finding the 'tip of the flame' with a U87. Somewhat successful. Now realise the mic was still set to Fig8.

Recording 3 : Leaving the 'flame' mic in position, I placed another U87 behind the guitar body, Fig8. Did the Midside trick on this mic (invert etc.). Very nice and warm result. (Now called "Rearside".)

Recording 4 : (Pictured) Placed two Fig8 U87s directly in front of guitar, with dead spots aimed at guitar body on perpendicular angles. Panned left and right respectively, interesting result. Would work well as backing rhythm guitar. Apologies for the excess noise and breath sounds (something to consider in future recordings).

BenAAwk3.ZIP 454kB

1. David Grice. "Audio Arts: Semester 1, Week 3. Recording "Outside The Square"" Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 18/03/2008.

No comments: