Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Forum - Week 2 - Blogging


Not the best way to break in the first years, I must say. I recall when I first started my course I seriously doubted the integrity of the Music Technology department, what with all the 'weird' electronic music. I didn't even know what 'avant-guard' was. While knew that Stephen was taking the proverbial piss, I could also see that the first years didn't know whether to laugh at the jokes or cry because of the money they spent on the course. Regardless, once the conversation turned from urbandictionary to the ethics of the weblog, the room once again resembled a typical Tech Forum.

An issue that I would have raised had the conversation not changed direction, was the dilution of the purpose of the weblog. I imagine before teenagers got their grubby little hands on it, a blog would have been quite a respectable place for people to log their adventures in their chosen field so like-minded people could share the experience. I can imagine a scientist researching something, and other scientists in the field keeping up with the progress of the research and offer thoughts and tips. Alas, the ravages of youth have disseminated much of the merit that was once possible, and now a scientist doing any such thing would be devaluing his/her work. IMO (sic).

The world's greatest blog. Press the 'stop' button before it loads all the pictures. But let it load some, otherwise nothing will make sense.

1. Stephen Whittington. "Music Technology Forum - Blogs, Assessment & Student Discussion." Lecture presented at the Electronic Music Unit, University of Adelaide, South Australia, 13th March, 2008.

2 comments:

Sebastian Tomczak said...

I love Eggagog!

Ben said...

I know, total legend. It normally reduces me to tears.