Monday, September 10, 2007

Forum - Instrument Proposal

Instrument Name: Victoria

My instrument will take concepts created by Will and I earlier in the semester in regards to Victorian Synthesis. The instrument will primarily play itself, however there will be much involvement from the 'musician' to change tempo and component involvement.

The concept is a drum-machine-style conglomeration of rhythmically intertwined Victorian Synths (see Forum Week 1) that would hopefully provide a infectious tempo for the Forum improvisations. The overall size of the instrument is yet to be established, however I aim to fit it in a shoe box or two. As is required for the concept, I will be using copious amounts of aluminium foil, which always looks pretty.

I hope to allow other student's instruments to contaminate the 'circuit', either by running their output sound through my speakers (thus effecting tempo and rhythm) or by including my rhythmic electrical beats into their circuit.

Although it will take some 'hacking' I aim to control volume (and thus tempo) using the Arduino board and Max. What I presume needs to be done it to have the voltage of the circuit controlled by Max, which seems very possible.

I surmise that my instrument will be more aesthetically pleasing than aurally pleasing (what with all of the aluminium foil) which is where coloured lighting comes in - my instrument will act like a mirror ball!

2 comments:

Sebastian Tomczak said...

Hi Ben,
How are you planning on controlling the voltage output of the Arduino --> vic synth combo?

Ben said...

No idea. I haven't had much luck with the Arduino board so far, but I figured I should include it somewhere so that there is some computer interaction. Is it even possible?